Thursday, October 7, 2010

what's in a name


Naming a baby is one of the more fun aspects of being pregnant (for those of us that actually think pregnancy is fun). Although, I'm now realizing you don't have to be pregnant to be constantly thinking about baby names.

As children, we get excited at the opportunity to name our stuffed animals or family pets and I don't think that ever really leaves us. Now when I hear a name that strikes my fancy I think, "That's going on the list" and no, I am not even expecting again. 

The naming process can be...well just that, a process. You scour through page after page, name after name, until one ends up making the cut. You can also draw inspiration from television, family members, books, websites and more! It really can be quite time-consuming, but again, so much fun.

Some of us even have the names we are going to use stem all the way back to our childhoods. I, on the other hand, didn't think Crystal Diamond was quite as lovely as it was when I was six. Instead, the inspiration for my baby girl's name came from a variety of things:

Timeless Beauty Elle Macphearson.
I love ELLE Decor.
It is feminine.
I love french names (It's funny because now that Shawn and I are married my name is completely french).
I started noticing most of the girl names on my list ended with elle, e.g., Gabrielle, Brielle, Giselle, etc.
I thought it was special that she would have the second half of my name.
It is very close to my father's middle name.
It sounded beautiful with Elizabeth which we chose to honor Shawn's grandmother whom he loved dearly.
It is not common.
I love the way it looks written, especially in handwriting.
And last but equally as important,
Shawn liked it too! 
Elle Elizabeth
I think it suits her well.

No comments:

Post a Comment